Further Information for Applicants

Contact Details

Do we have the right contact details for you?

You are one step closer to starting university and we’re looking forward to welcoming you onto your chosen course here at UCLan in September. Over the next few weeks we’ll be sending you lots of important information, like details about accommodation, life at UCLan and how to enrol.

- We will continually be updating this site with important information to help you along your journey such as details about accommodation, finance, life at UCLan and how to enrol. We need to make sure that you can access all of this information so do visit the site regularly for any updates. -

Also, if any of your contact details change, we need to know as soon as possible.  Please let us know if you change your:

  • address
  • phone number
  • email address
  • name

If you applied through UCAS, then the easiest way to make changes to your contact information is to update your details through UCAS Track; all updates are then shared with every University you’ve applied to. If you applied direct, then please email us at uadmissions@uclan.ac.uk with any changes to your details.

Please include your UCLan student ID in all correspondence – this can be found at the top of any letter you have received from us recently.


You may also receive some emails from us over the coming months, so please make sure you check your email address regularly and make sure it is the same email address you supplied on your application form !

If the email address we have on file for you is a school/college one, then we recommend you change it to a personal email address before you finish school/college, as you might not be able to access your school/college email account once you leave. You will need to validate your email.

« Back to the Applicant page

Mature Students

Whilst the needs of mature students is slightly different, these steps and the information here will still be useful. Mature students may not meet the standard entry requirements but may still be considered for a place on a course. You could have to provide evidence of your ability to benefit from a higher education course which may be based on your life, work experience and continued personal and professional development. Past experience is not always enough but UCLan can advise on various access programmes designed to prepare you for study at higher education level.

« Back to the Applicant page

Extra Support

You’re now only a few short months away from starting your course here at UCLan.

Over the next few weeks we’ll be sending you lots of important information to read, details about decisions you need to make and instructions about what you need to do next. This information will also be available on the web so please do remember to check back regularly to see what’s new and what you need to do next.

Our first instruction is: Don’t panic!

We know starting University is an exciting time but can also be daunting, and it may seem like there’s a lot of paperwork to complete and choices to make before you even get here. That’s where we can help. If you need any help or support with the application process at all, or if anything we send to you isn’t clear, please get in touch and we will try our best to help.

We do know that some applicants may be ‘looked after’, i.e. are in care, or are living independently at age 16 or 17. For those of you who are in this situation, we are able to offer advice on extra funding that may be available to you. If you are interested in finding out about this, then please email the Admissions Team with some details and permission for me to pass on your information to the relevant team within the University.

At UCLan we pride ourselves on the tailored support we offer all our students, and we want your application and enrolment to go as smoothly as possible, to get your UCLan experience off to the best possible start. If you have any problems at all, we’re here to help.

« Back to the Applicant page

Jargon Buster - University Terminology Explained

Since applying to UCLan you will have received many letters and emails from us. These often include university-specific language, which we know can be confusing if you’re not used to the terms. We hope this page will help you understand the words and phrases we use regularly in our letters and emails. If you’re still confused, don’t worry. We will explain everything once you arrive in September.



Further Information

Validated email When we receive your application, we’ll send you an email to the email address you used on your application, to make sure it’s the right one. You’ll need to click on a link within that email to validate your email address, so we can be sure it’s you we’re emailing. If you change your email address during the application process, e.g. from a school/college email to a personal email, we will resend the validation email.
Conditional Offer An offer to study here that is based on you meeting certain conditions. These conditions are usually academic, and we will normally specify the grades you need in order to confirm your place.  
Unconditional Offer This offer means that you’ve already met the conditions required to study here, so the place is yours if you want it!  
Firm Choice This is your first choice course/institute. It may be a conditional or unconditional offer. Universities usually refer to this as CF (Conditional Firm) or UF (Unconditional Firm).
Insurance Choice This is your second choice, and is your backup to your Firm choice, in case you don’t meet the entry requirements of your Firm choice. Universities usually refer to this as CI (Conditional Insurance) or UI (Unconditional Insurance).
Confirmation Once you have met the conditions of your offer, we will automatically confirm your place on your chosen course, normally through UCAS.  
Clearing An opportunity after results day for students who don’t have a confirmed offer to find a place at University.  
UCAS Personal ID Your unique 10-digit identification number given to you by UCAS once you submit your UCAS application.  
Registration Number A unique 8-digit number preceded by a letter (normally a ‘G’) that identifies you to UCLan. Your Registration Number will be on most correspondence from us.  You’re likely to be asked for it if you contact us, so keep it to hand.
UCLan Network Account Once you have no outstanding conditions to meet and you have confirmed your acceptance onto your course here, we’ll send you an email containing your UCLan Network Account username and password, as well as your full UCLan email, which you can use to enrol and access a wide range of services. You’ll use your UCLan Network Account details to enrol online and your UCLan email to access the Student Portal, where you can access teaching materials, timetables and more.
Enrolment For new students, ‘enrolment’ is the formal process of confirming your course details, accepting our rules and regulations and agreeing to pay tuition fees.  Enrolment is usually done online before you arrive. Once you’ve enrolled, we’ll send you an email or a letter that says “Acknowledgement of Enrolment”, so you’ll know you’ve enrolled.
Returning students need to enrol at the start of every academic year they’re studying here.
Receiving a UCLan ID Card or network account details doesn’t mean that you’ve enrolled.
Once you receive your UCLan Network Account username and password, you can enrol online.
For more information about enrolling go to www.uclan.ac.uk/enrol

Welcome Week and Induction

(Also known as Freshers’ Week)
Induction refers to the wide range of activities you’ll experience when you first arrive at UCLan. During ‘Induction’ you’ll receive information about your course and meet other students and tutors; complete administrative tasks (such as ID checks) and have the opportunity to take part in various ‘Freshers’ events.
If you’re going to be living in our Halls of Residence, we require all residents to complete e-induction, which is different to course induction. E-induction covers essential information you’ll need about health, safety and security whilst living in Halls of Residence.
Once your place at UCLan is confirmed, our Admissions Team will send you a welcome pack, which includes an Induction Guide booklet, containing lots of information about what you will be doing during Induction and where to get help and information.
Fresher A ‘Fresher’ is the name given to a new student who is ‘Fresh’ to the University. There are lots of activities for ‘Freshers’ designed to help you settle in, make friends, and have fun during your first few weeks here at UCLan.  

This is where you will find your student record. MyUCLan allows you to update your contact details, enrol on your course, register for an elective module and check your module results.
The Student Portal allows you to access your online learning materials, timetables and attendance records, and also to submit assignments, get assignment grades, connect with your tutors and more. 
The Student Record Service interface allows you to update contact details, check if you’ve passed a module, enrol on your course, register for an elective module, and much more.

Once you have your UCLan email and password, you can login to the Student Portal.
You can access your Student Record Service interface from the Student Portal.
UCLan ID Card A credit-card sized plastic ID card you’ll need if you’re studying at UCLan’s Preston or Burnley Campuses.  It’s used to access some buildings (e.g. the library), is scanned to register your attendance at classes, and used wherever you need to prove your status as a UCLan student. It also shows your UCLan Network Account Username and Password. To upload a photo for your UCLan ID Card go to: https://apps.uclan.ac.uk/studentphoto
Student Portal The Student Portal provides you with all the information you should need while studying with us. You can find information and advice about all aspects of student life, including course information, health, money and careers. You can also use the eLearn (Blackboard) online learning environment to access study materials and reading lists. You can access the Student Portal once you have received your network account details.
Starfish It’s an online system designed to help you make the most of your time at UCLan by pulling together lots of information about you and your UCLan journey in one easily accessible place.  Use Starfish to view module information (including attendance and grades) and quickly connect with and get help from relevant academic staff and support services around the University. You’ll find Starfish within Blackboard where you will also find an online guide and quick video to get you started
« Back to the Applicant page

Term Dates

To help you plan ahead, the Academic Calendar gives you the key dates throughout the upcoming academic year. It contains information regarding term and semester dates, examination dates, vacation and publication of results. Different dates may apply for some programmes but where this occurs the School will inform their students directly.

« Back to the Applicant page

General Admission Frequently Asked Questions

What is the UCAS points tariff?
What Accommodation is available and how much does it cost?
Can a student bring a car to university?
Are there opportunities for working while studying?
How much time do students spend studying?
Is there extra study skills support?
How safe is it in Preston?
What help is available if students find themselves in difficulty?

What is the UCAS points tariff?

The UCAS points tariff is a way of allocating points to compare qualifications that are needed by a university in order to gain access to a course.

Your offer from a university can be based on either grades or tariff points. The higher a grade, the more points it will be allocated. For a full list of Tariff points, please see the UCAS website.

Please note that not all qualifications in the Tariff will be included in your offer. For instance, we wouldn’t normally include AS grades, because we need your entry qualifications to reflect depth of study or particular academic subjects.

What Accommodation is available and how much does it cost?

We are committed to ensuring that all our students enjoy high standard accommodation throughout their stay at the University as it is important that you feel comfortable in your new home for the next 3 or so years. There is a wide choice of University-owned Halls of Residence and University approved private accommodation to suit everyone.

We are dedicated to ensuring all first-year students get a place in University approved halls and have over 2,200 places in a wide choice of University halls of residence. Centrally located, with all the comforts of home (including free internet access) our Halls of Residence are the number-one choice for most first-year students. All are self-catering, and laundry facilities are available on campus. Private properties are inspected on a rolling programme to ensure that they’re suitable, and landlords are required to agree to a Code of Conduct. More information, including prices, can be found on our website www.uclan.ac.uk/accommodation
Smart card : As our accommodation is self-catering, we operate a ‘Smart card’ scheme at the various food outlets on campus. You can ensure you never run out of credit by topping up using cash or card at various outlets on campus, or alternative you or your parents can top it up too by calling us with your details on 01772 892080 between 10am-2pm each working day.

Can a student bring a car to university?

You can bring your car to UCLan, but as a city-centre campus, parking is very limited and is not available if you are living in Halls of Residence. Students living in our halls of residence won’t need to travel by car – all the halls are within easy walking distance of all University buildings, the town centre, railway station and bus station.

If you are living off campus at home or houses away from the main campus and the city centre, you may find it easier to park at your accommodation, although you won’t be entitled to buy an on-campus parking permit unless you live more than 20 miles away and do be aware, there is also a car parking charge.

Are there opportunities for working while studying?

Many students take on part-time work to pay towards their University expenses and gain valuable employment experience. Being in the heart of the city means that there are plenty of job opportunities close to campus.

The Job shop is here to help you find a part time job, volunteering opportunity or work experience placement. Based in the Opportunities Centre on the ground floor of the Students’ Union building, if you’re looking to improve your CV or just after a little extra money in your pocket, this is the place to find it. So that studies won’t be affected, we recommend that you work no more than 17 hours per week during term time.

How much time do students spend studying?

You will quickly learn that studying at University places much greater emphasis on independent learning when compared with school or college. So while contact time in the classroom or lecture theatre may seem less, with anywhere between 10-15 hours per week, you will be expected to carry out independent study outside of lectures, using the University resources to review, research and extend your understanding of the topic. Typically, this amounts to a working week of 37 hours during term time.

Is there extra study skills support?

Yes. It may be some time since you studied, or you may need to polish up your essay writing skills or practice giving a presentation. You can access a range of support and advice to help with your academic skills, including student support from 2nd and 3rd year students, as well as academic experts to help you develop the skills to study and learn independently. Find out more at the Student Portal : Student Support and Wellbeing

How safe is it in Preston?

At UCLan our aim is to provide a safe and secure environment for all staff and students, and we work hard to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our students. Our attractive, compact campus benefits from 24-hour security, CCTV and site wardens, and initiatives like free night buses and preferential taxi services to get you back from the city centre helps to give you peace of mind on a night out.

What help is available if students find themselves in difficulty?

  • The <i> is our acclaimed one-stop student information centre, located at the centre of the campus on the ground floor of the library. Offering help and advice on all aspects of University life, from accommodation, finance, course information and childcare queries and more, it is an invaluable resource to all of our students.
  • The Welcome Team and Student Mentoring offer peer-to-peer support and advice from other students so that you can meet and talk to someone who has had the same experiences as you.
  • The specialist staff in our with Student Support and Wellbeing Team are available to help you with any problems you may have during your time at University. They can help you with careers advice, financial advice and guidance, an on-campus health centre, independent academic advice, a counselling service, and a multi-faith centre, as well as providing support for students with learning difficulties or special needs.
  • You will be assigned a personal tutor from your School who is available to help and to monitor your progress while at University.
« Back to the Applicant page


We have put together some information which you may wish to share with your family or others who may be offering support whilst you are in higher education. The sheet is intended to answer some of the questions that they might have about the University and the environment in Preston. If you think it would be useful, please pass this information on to them.

Can I apply to do a professional health course if I have a criminal record?
How do I get a DBS Clearance?
I already have a DBC certificate for my current position, will I need to be cleared again?
Will I have to undergo a medical examination?
How are the professional courses funded?
Who is eligible for NHS funding?
If I am an international student and not eligible for NHS funding can i pay my own fees?
How do I apply for the bursary?
How and when is the bursary paid?
Where will my nursing/midwifery placement be based?
How is nurse training split between academic study and placements?  
If I am accepted for one field of nursing can I change to another during the course?

Can I apply to do a professional health course if I have a criminal record?

All offers made on our Nursing, Midwifery, Paramedic Practice and Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care courses are conditional upon receipt of a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure. Whether or not you can be considered for a place on one of these courses if you have a criminal conviction will depend on the circumstances. You must be at least two years clear of any conviction before commencing the programme. If invited to a selection/interview event you will be asked to declare if you have any bind-over orders, prior or current investigations by the police or employer/suspension by an employer or regulatory body/reprimands or final warnings. If you declare this information you will be contacted by a member of staff who is independent from the admissions team and advised on how to proceed.

If you are offered a place on the programme you will be asked to complete a DBS (formerly CRB) check. If any issues are highlighted through this service an independent member of staff will review your case and decide if you can continue onto the programme. Any information you provide will be treated confidentially. For more information about DBS please refer to www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview. UCLan adheres to the DBS “Code of Practice”.

How do I get a DBS Clearance?

At interview or prior to enrolment applicants are asked to complete a DBS Form so that an Enhanced Disclosure can be processed. If a student accepts our offer, their DBS application form will be sent to the DBS. Once the DBS have processed the application, a certificate is produced and sent directly to the applicant. The applicant will be required to present this certificate to the School of Health and will be advised how to do this nearer the start of the course. Most DBS clearances take approximately a month to process, in some cases it can take longer.

I already have a DBC certificate for my current position; will I need to be cleared again?

All students on the professional courses have to have a new DBS Enhanced Disclosure. The University pays for this clearance.

Will I have to undergo a medical examination?

Nursing, Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, and Paramedic Practice - offers are all subject to receipt of satisfactory medical clearance. The medical clearance will be discussed at interview.

How are professional health courses funded?

Nursing, Midwifery, and the Operating Department Practice courses are NHS funded, see below for details:

Tuition fees are paid by the NHS and do not have to be paid back. For living expenses there is a bursary that can be applied for, however, this part of the funding is means-tested. The NHS Student Grant Unit calculate the amount payable and as this varies according to the student’s personal circumstances it is not possible to print amounts here. Please note that for students living in the parental home or students who have partners, other income in the household WILL BE taken into account when assessing the bursary payable. For more information please log onto www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/students. As a result of it being means-tested, students can also apply for a Student Loan (via Student Finance England), however, this will have to be paid back on completion of the course.

Paramedic Practice: Tuition fees are paid by NWAS (North West Ambulance Service) and do not have to be paid back. For living expenses students apply for a Student Loan (via Student Finance England).

Who is eligible for NHS funding?

Students who are ordinarily resident in the UK are normally eligible for the NHS Bursary. Please note that we only have places at this institution for NHS funded students, therefore, if you are not eligible for NHS funding (e.g. international students) we will be unable to proceed with an application. The NHS Student Grant Unit can provide further information at www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/students.

If I am an international student and not eligible for NHS funding can I pay my own fees?

We cannot consider applications from non NHS funded applicants, therefore, we are unable to consider self-funding students.

How do I apply for the bursary?

Once an offer has been accepted firmly via UCAS, the School of Health will be in contact via email. The email contains all the information needed for the start of term, including details of how to apply for the bursary.

How and when is the bursary paid?

The NHS Student Grant Unit is responsible for payment of the bursary. It is usually paid on a monthly basis directly into your bank account once you have enrolled.

Where will my nursing/midwifery placement be based?

We operate over the following NHS trusts that are local to this University – East Lancashire, Blackpool & Wyre, Ormskirk and Southport, Preston and Chorley and Wigan & Wrightington. Midwifery students are advised prior to starting their course where they will be based for clinical placements. Nursing students have their placement details allocated after enrolment (the allocation is done from postcode, although it cannot be guaranteed, the Placement Learning Support Unit place students within the minimum travel time of 1.5 hours to their address).

How is nurse training split between academic study and placements?

The course is split 50/50. Half of your time will be spent here at the University working towards the degree - the theory is usually in blocks of six weeks (with a set three day attendance). This is interspersed with blocks of clinical placement at a trust that will be allocated after you enrol (see section above) – these are usually blocks of eight weeks and students will be working (full-time) a thirty-seven and a half hour week. There is a requirement for students to work the full range of shifts as would be expected once qualified, this means nightshifts and weekend working as well as normal early and late shifts. Students with dependents and families will be expected by their placement areas, to ensure they can fulfil the requirements of shift patterns. Students are time-tabled in for theory/placements for 45 weeks of the year. Students are entitled to seven weeks annual leave – due to the amount of theory and practice hours that must be completed to register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), students are unable to take additional holidays. We try to give holiday dates as far as possible in advance to allow students to plan ahead. If you have holidays pre-booked prior to the course starting, you are advised to defer to the next intake available, or discuss with the Admissions Tutor. Timetable details are sent out approximately three months prior to the course starting. 

If I’m accepted for one field of nursing can i change to another during the course?

For each field of nursing that we offer we have target figures and we have to recruit exactly to this figure. If a student wanted to swap from one branch to another if would be dependent on a vacancy being available and that would mean that someone would have to have withdrawn. This is not usually an option so we ask students to be sure when accepting a place on a specific field that this is what they really want to do. 


Nursing and Midwifery Council (homepage)

Please contact the University if you need any more answers. We will be happy to help.
E-mail: uadmissions@uclan.ac.uk

« Back to the Applicant page

Confirmed Firm Information

We are pleased that you have accepted the conditional offer of a place at the University of Central Lancashire. We hope the following information will be useful to guide you through the period when your results are published.


Foundation Entry and Year 1 Applicants - UCAS will notify us directly of all A/AS level and BTEC examination results. If you are taking any other examinations/qualifications which form part of your offer, please notify us of your results as soon as possible. Please do not telephone the University with your results, you need to either send a photocopy of official results to the Admissions Office, or fax a copy of the results to 01772 894954, or scan a copy and send it via e mail to uadmissions@uclan.ac.uk  – please ensure that on all correspondence you include your full name, registration number and the name of the course that you are holding a place on. Do not send us original certificates.

Year 2 and Year 3 Applicants - Notify us of your results as soon as possible and forward a copy of your transcript of results.

Meeting the Offer

If you meet the conditions of our offer your place will be confirmed automatically and an Induction Guide will be sent to you from the Admissions Office. An email will be sent to you asking you to confirm your acceptance on the course – follow the instructions contained in the email.

Please check the Academic Calendar for the term dates.

We wish you all the very best with your results and look forward to seeing you in September.

« Back to the Applicant page

Confirmed Insurance Information

We are pleased that you are holding an insurance offer with the University of Central Lancashire and we are taking this opportunity to write with information to guide you through the period when your results are published.

Meeting your offer

  1. If you meet the conditions of the firm offer you are holding, your place at that institution will be confirmed automatically by UCAS and your insurance offer will be withdrawn. We wish you every success for your future, and thank you for the interest you have shown in the University of Central Lancashire.
  2. If you do not meet the conditions of your firm offer you should contact that institution as soon as possible as they may still offer you a place.
  3. Should your firm offer not be confirmed but you meet the conditions of your insurance offer here, your place will be confirmed automatically by UCAS and we will send you an Induction Guide. You must also contact Student Finance England to inform them of your changed circumstances in order for your student loan to be released. An email will be sent from us asking you to confirm your acceptance on the course – follow the instructions contained in the email.
  4. If both your firm and insurance offers are not confirmed then you will be entered into Clearing. If you need advice at this point, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Please check the Academic Calendar for the term dates.

We wish you all the very best with your future studies.

« Back to the Applicant page